Whitehawk 2-1 Welling United
Whitehawk 2-1 Welling United

On the day of the Grand National, Welling United were not at the races when they visited Whitehawk.

Anything other than a victory would have guaranteed Whitehawk’s relegation but despite playing fifty plus minutes with ten men, they claimed the three points.

Daniel Wilks made an excellent double save early on, but other than that he was rarely troubled.

First he saved at close range from Olumide Durojaiye then he made a great reaction save from Jack Jebb’s follow up.

Nassim L’Ghoul enjoyed space down the wing but when Gold Otomayo set him up he fired well over.

Connor Dymond had a shot easily saved before Welling almost shot themselves in the foot. Callum Driver headed a long ball across the face of his own goal but Lloyd Macklin fired wide of the far post.

Jamie Philpot was off target for Welling before Ky Marsh-Brown set up Otomayo but he shot straight at Vose who held on well.

However, Whitehawk went ahead soon after. L’Ghoul was the creator with former Welling striker Macklin the finisher.

Joe Healy volleyed wide for Welling before Macklin again came close but his shot came back off a team-mate.

Bradley Goldberg had a shot deflected over then Connor Dymond had one saved before Whitehawk were reduced to ten men. A nasty stamp by Otomayo on Callum Driver right in front of the referee was only going end one way and he was rightly dismissed.

Three minutes after the break, Welling levelled. Jebb’s free kick was punched out by Wilks as far as Durojaiye and he showed great composure to place into the bottom corner.

Smelling blood, Welling brought on Tom Bradbrook for Dymond and his aerial power caused problems for Whitehawk immediately.

He missed a great chance on the ground though. Goldberg did well t pull it back but Bradbrook skewed his shot wide of the target.

Despite their numerical advantage, Welling failed to show sufficient urgency and paid the price. Elliot Benyon came on as a substitute while L’Ghoul was preparing to take a corner and when the delivery came over, he volleyed home at the far post.

Having gone behind, Welling failed to up the tempo and were grateful to Vose for making a good save from Nathaniel Pinney.

As the game went into injury time, Bradbrook headed wide from Jebb’s free kick before being sent off harshly for a challenge in midfield.

Whitehawk: Wilks, Obamwonyi (Pinney 64), Gibbons, Ijaha (Mensah 74), Lyons-Foster, Ambroisini, L’Ghoul, Mendy, Otomayo, Macklin, Marsh-Brown (Benyon 77). Subs not used: Chaney, Fagan, Benyon.

Welling United: Vose, Driver, Jefford, Durojaiye (Hall 80), Okuonghae, Coyle, Dymond (Bradbrook 60), Healy (Nanetti 80), Goldberg, Jebb, Philpot. Subs not used: Johnson, Coombes.


Goalscorers: Macklin (18), Benyon (77)

Yellow cards: Ijaha, Marsh-Brown

Red cards: Otomayo

Welling United:

Goalscorers: Durojaiye (48)

Yellow cards: Jefford, Dymond, Healy

Red cards: Bradbrook


Referee: James Durkin

Assistants: Colin Hubbard and Brian Channing


Attendance: 294

Images courtesy of Dave Budden