Welling United 2-3 Gloucester City
Welling United 2-3 Gloucester City

Below par Welling United slumped to an unexpected defeat to relegation threatened Gloucester City.

Coming into the game, Welling had won three on the spin while Gloucester had not won since New Year’s Day so the visitors’ victory didn’t go the way of the form book.

Almost immediately, Welling goalkeeper Bailey Vose, on debut, was forced into making a save as Harry Williams flicked Karnell Chambers’ low cross towards the near post.

Vose had to make another save when Ed Williams tested him with a free kick that he turned over well.

After Lewis Hall fired high and wide, the chances dried up and Welling gradually worked their way into the game.

Connor Dymond had their first effort but James Hamon saved easily then Bradley Goldberg had an effort saved superbly.

After the interval Isaal Kelly replaced Kieran Thomas and created a chance immediately but Chris Knowles was unable to keep his header down.

Hall curled wide for Gloucester before The Tigers went ahead. Chambers was able to get through with relative ease before firing into the bottom corner.

Within two minutes, Welling were level. Goldberg tried his luck from twenty yards and deceived Hamon who could only help it into the net.

Tom Bradbrook shot wide for Welling before they shot themselves in the foot when conceding from their own corner. A quick break sent Ed Williams away and although Archie Johnson held him up well, the retreating Christian Nanetti’s attempt to clear flew into his own net.

Ed Williams shot wide from a free kick before Nanetti atoned for his faux-pas by earning a penalty when tripped by Sam Avery. Goldberg took the responsibility and fired home the spot kick.

In the closing minutes, Gloucester went ahead again, and this time it proved to be the winner. Ed Williams was given space outside the area and rifled a shot into the bottom corner.

Jack Parkinson came close to equalising once more but his shot was cleared off the line by Avery however the visitors should have scored again in the final attack of the game.

Joe Parker and Rhys Kavanagh had a two against one attack but the former was careless with his final pass and Kavanagh couldn’t reach to finish.


Welling United: Vose, Driver, Johnson, Dymond, Acheampong, Parkinson, Monakana (Nanetti 69), Durojaiye (Jebb 73), Goldberg, Healy, Hall (Bradbrook 55).

Subs not used: Jefford, Coyle.


Gloucester City: Hamon; Thomas (Kelly 53), Parselle, Cundy, Avery, Knowles, Chambers (Parker 86), Webb, H. Williams (Kavanagh 86), E. Williams, Hall.

Subs not used: Hanks, Kelly, Kavanagh, Parker, Moore.



Welling United:

Goalscorers: Goldberg (60) & pen (82)

Yellow cards: None

Red cards: None


Gloucester City:

Goalscorers: Chambers (58), Nanetti o.g. (75), E. Williams (90+)

Yellow cards: None

Red cards: None


Referee: Rob Whitton

Assistants: Hugh Gilroy and Stu Kyle


Attendance: 434


Welling star player: Bradley Goldberg

Pictures supplied by Dave Budden.