Welling United 1-2 Gillingham
Welling United 1-2 Gillingham

A competitive Kent Senior Cup game was decided by two early Gillingham goals against Welling at Park View Road.

In the opening minutes, the Gillingham youngsters looked lively and after Navid Nasseri shot wide from a half cleared corner, Elliott List brought a decent save out of Dan Wilks from a tight angle.

It wasn’t all one way though and Dean McDonald’s skill allowed him to cross to Arnaud Mendy at the far post but he failed to hit the target as he looked to put it back across him.

That miss proved costly as the Gills went ahead after twelve minutes. A quick break allowed Noel Mbo to put List clear and he gave Wilks no chance with a clinical finish.

Then, when Welling should have been looking to keep it tight, they gave away possession on the edge of their own area and Aaron Simpson sent Mbo away to fire home.

After that Welling were chasing the game but missed a good chance to pull one back when Dean McDonald headed wide from Nassim L’Ghoul’s free kick.

List’s pace gave the Wings problems at the back and one burst left the back four for dead but Wilks made an excellent save with his right boot.

Wilks was again called into action when saving from Nasseri following a good passing move.

Another List break after a Welling corner was cleared caused more problems but although Craig Braham-Barrett couldn’t catch him to make a tackle he was able to force him wide and he shot across the face of goal.

Bradley Stevenson had the last chance of the half when he wriggled his way through but he was unable to hit the target.

Steve King, Welling’s manager, worked his magic at the break and Welling came out fighting. They came close early on when Julian Anou burst past Jack Tucker but fired just over.

Anou came close again when Nathaniel Pinney made space for him but his shot went inches wide with Tom Hadler struggling.

Gavin McCallum came on for John Paul Kissock and chanced his arm immediately with a shot that flew over from twenty five yards.

Tigana Quebe was then brought on by King and he showed good skills to set up David Ijaha and his shot brought a stunning save out of Hadler.

Finally, Welling reduced the arrears with nine minutes remaining when L’Ghoul cut in from the right wing and arrowed a shot into the bottom corner.

McCallum had a great opportunity to take the game to penalties but fired wide from Tom Hurst’s cross.

There was still time for Welling to create one last half chance but Hadler saved Yannis Ambroisine’s header from another Hurst cross and it’s Gillingham who progress to the quarter finals.


Welling United: Wilks, Hurst, Braham-Barrett, Mendy (Ijaha 53), Ambroisine, Mendes, Kissock (McCallum 56), Anau, Pinney (Quebe 66), McDonald, L’Ghoul.

Unused Substitutes: Mills, Goldberg.


Gillingham: Hadler, Chapman, O’Mara, Tucker, Blackman, Stevenson, Nasseri, Oldaker, Simpson, List (Woods 57), Mbo.

Unused Substitutes: Catherall, Hlabi, Scarlett, Shemenant.


Referee: Joseph Stokes

Assistants: Kirsty Dowie and Christopher Cannon

Fourth Official: Aaron Conn



Goals: L’Ghoul (81)

Yellow cards: None

Red cards: None



Goals: List (12), Mbo (14)

Yellow cards: Hadler

Red cards: None


Attendance: 197


Man of match: Navid Nasseri

Picture supplied by Dave Budden.