VCD Athletic 1-2 Hythe Town
VCD Athletic 1-2 Hythe Town

Hythe got their first away points of the season as they won 2-1 at VCD Athletic on Tuesday evening.

The first half was stalemate as both sides struggled to get any chances on target. The first opportunity for the hosts came after only three minutes as the ever dangerous, Steve Carvell turned in and shot straight at Hythe keeper, Will Godmon. The Cannons created their first effort on seven minutes as Charlie Webster played the ball into Dean Grant who headed into VCD keeper Joe Mant’s arms. The odd chance was being created at each end as a cross from Omar Lawson found Aymun El-Moyhalbel who could not get proper contact on the ball and it trickled wide.

Webster sent in another cross for Hythe and Grant again headed straight at Mant. At the other end Carvell while off-balance shot wide. Kieron Campbell then delivered a high cross into Grant who this time got under the ball and headed over. One last chance of the half came on 34 minutes as a Ben Wilson free-kick was rifled straight at the ex-Hythe keeper Mant who held onto the ball easily. It was no surprise that the teams went in goal less at half-time.

The game livened up in the second half as Carvell shot wide of the Hythe goal. However the Cannons were ahead on 53 minutes as Sid Sollis came in from the right and fired toward the far post with the ball deflecting off Mant and into the net. Hythe went further ahead three minutes later as Grant fed the ball through to Sollis who ran in and slotted the ball home for his second of the evening.

This seemed to spark VCD into action as they tried to get back into the game. On the hour a cross from El-Moyhalbel was headed down and wide by Kemo Darboe and then Carvell found himself one on one with Godmon who spread himself well to block Carvell’s path and the VCD striker fired over. However Carvell was not to be denied as on 66 minutes he turned on the edge of the area and slotted the ball home to narrow the gap. Despite a Wilson free kick going over the bar, it was the hosts who looked the more likely to get an equaliser as the ball came out to Derek Duncan who fired over and then Ricardo Joseph sent a dipping effort over the bar. Thanks partly due to a dominating performance by Mitchell Dickenson at the back the Cannons soaked up the pressure.

Hythe were unlucky on 87 minutes not to extend their lead as a Grant cross was deflected on to his own cross bar by Mant. VCD immediately counter attacked and substitute Rashid Kamara forced a good save from Godmon. One more opportunity for Hythe saw Ashley Miller push the ball out to Wilson whose shot was well saved by Mant.

The game marked Dave Cook completing his 355th appearance for Hythe overtaking John Walker’s previous record and he was rewarded with three well-earned points as the Cannons look forward to their game on Saturday at home to Ashford United.

Hythe team: Will Godmon, Charlie Webster, Ben Wilson, Ryan Johnson, Mitchell Dickenson, Mitchell Chapman, Dave Cook, Sid Sollis (Jordan Johnson-Palmer 73 mins), Dean Grant (Kenny Pogue 90 mins), Ryan Palmer (Ashley Miller 86 mins), Kieron Campbell.

Scorers: VCD Athletic-Stephen Carvell 67 mins. Hythe Town Sid Sollis 53 & 56 mins.

Attendance: 64