Swansea City 2-3 Charlton Athletic
Swansea City 2-3 Charlton Athletic

I counted 41 Addicks fans in the ground at kick-off last night.‎ Swansea decided to house everyone in one stand in the end.

Swansea fans occupied l‎ittle more than a block, immediately above the travelling fans. But the meagre attendance were treated to a decent spectacle.

The journey to and from the ground was a nightmare. Delays, lane closures, sections of various motorways‎ closed.

A plus point was Rossi’s fish & chip shop opposite the ground. Really good fare at reasonable prices.

The match was like a family outing in many ways, Karl Robinson came over to chat to the fans that had made the journey. As always, the manager was entertaining and amusing.

With such a small attendance, every word the players said was audible!

So what about the match?

Charlton progressed to the last 16 of the Checkatrade Trophy, beating Swansea Under-21s 3-2 in open, entertaining game.

‎A brace from Reeco Hackett-Fairchild, plus one from in-form Karlan Ahearne-Grant saw the Addicks safely through.

Ahearne-Grant and Joe Aribo were the only survivors from Sunday’s starting XI, with Jason Pearce making a welcome return to the side.

Karl Robinson only named three subs, there was no back-up keeper. Johnnie Jackson would have gone between the sticks if Dillon Phillips had to go off.

Kenji Gorre fired across Dillon Phillips to give the Swans an early lead, but Charlton were soon level. Hackett-Fairchild turned brilliantly in the box to level things up.

Ahearne-Grant fired through Gregor Zabret to restore the Addicks lead, only for Jordan Garrick to tie things up again just before the interval.

Hackett-Fairchild’s overhead effort early in the second half was enough to win the game for the visitors.

The draw for the third round will take place at 12.30pm on Friday.

Charlton: Phillips, Barnes, Pearce (Lennon 46), Dijksteel, Mascoll; Ahearne-Grant, Aribo (Lapslie 69), Jackson, Charles-Cook, Hackett-Fairchild; Best (Carter 88).

Goals: Hackett-Fairchild 16, 51, Ahearne-Grant 32.‎

Swansea City: Zabret; Lewis, Cullen (Baker-Richardson 69), Garrick, Gorre, Reid, Byers, Harries, King, Rodon, Blair (Evans 57).

Subs (not used): Thomas, Maric, Bainbridge, Cooper, Blake. ‎

Goals:‎ Gorre 9, Garrick 41.
Booked: Blair 25 (foul), Baker-Richardson 80 (diving).‎
Referee: Lee Swabey‎ (Plymouth).