Streatham 3-4 Invicta Dynamos
Streatham 3-4 Invicta Dynamos

The final league fixture of the regular season saw the Invicta Dynamos travel to Streatham and look to pick themselves up from a heavy defeat at Basingstoke the evening before.

Netminder John Dibble was missing but forward Jake Stedman made a welcome return to the roster to give the Mos 3 full lines.

The first period was action packed – starting with Tommy Ralph firing an early shot at netminder Colclough who done well to also stop any rebound falling to the feet of Mason Webster.

Webster was almost in again moments later after Cesky carried the puck around the Streatham’ net and found Webster out wide of the half circle and he hit a first time shot at Colclough. At the other end of the ice pad Mos’ netminder Damien King had his first touch of the puck when Aidan Doughty robbed Ryan Morgan of the puck but his shot didn’t have enough power on it to cause any trouble.

In the 6th minute Ben Paynter appeared to jump Harrison Lillis which led to the pair having their 3rd fight of this season – Lillis overpowering the Streatham man to get the takedown and also lead their own battle 2-1 over the campaign. Both players received 2+2 penalty minutes for their troubles but that didn’t bother the Mos as they continued to press on the Streatham goal and a delightful pass across the Streatham’ goalmouth just eluded Jaroslav Cesky the tip-in.

With the Mos continuing to work hard Brandon Webster caught out James Warman and passed the puck back to Josh Condren who had plenty of time to bury a shot past Colclough – but the netminder stood firm. At the other end Andreas Siagris had a similar oppertunity when he intercepted Arran Strawson’s attempt to pass out of defence but Damien King was on hand to save the day.

With 12:27 on the clock Jamie Hayes was penalised for cross checking leaving the Mos with a powerplay which they took full advantage from – Ashley Jackson putting the Mos 1-0 up 13:40 with assists claimed by Louis Colvin and Ondrej Zosiak. Within seconds of the restart Jake Stedman thought he’d claimed his first Dynamos goal but it was washed out for high sticks.

The home side however levelled the scores on 17:31 – Siagris dispatching beyond King for 1-1 after Warman found him in space. There was still time for a final fight in the 1st period – Mason Webster and Brandon Miles locking together with Webster getting the takedown.

The 2nd period was just as good as the previous frame – with yet another tussle – this time Tommy Ralph and Jacob Ranson dropping the gloves after Ranson slashed at the D-man with the Dynamos’ Yorkshireman getting the upper hand to put Ranson on the deck first. The resulting powerplay had the Mos go 2-1 in front with Josh Condren firing past the helpless Colclough on 24:26, assisted by Colvin and Zosiak.

A few half chances were presented to George Hoang and Jaroslav Cesky but the Mos were unable to double that lead and were left to pay on 34:15 with Siagris roofing past King for 2-2 – and time for Paynter and Lillis to have another tussle and sit another 4 minutes each in the penalty box. The second period closed out with the home side going ahead for the first time on the night – Ryan Watt playing Ryan Webb through for 3-2 on 37:09.

The final period was all to play for and the Mos gave it their all – which was clear to see when Brandon Webster nailed Chris Cooke into the boards in the 43rd minute with a heavy but fair hit.

Mos’ forward Cesky had an outstanding game and his stick control was causing all sorts of problems for Streatham and they had Colclough to thank in the 4th minute when Cesky danced round Gregory but couldn’t get enough time to shoot the Mos level.

But it wasn’t long until the scoreboard read 3-3 – Cesky the again showing great experience to lay the puck on a plate for Mason Webster to drive the puck into the net on 48:35, 2nd assist claimed by Tommy Ralph.

Just as the teams were about to restart Lillis and Paynter were at it again, with Lillis again winning the fight but ejected from the game (total of 47 penalty minutes on the night).

The Mos now had a 5 minute powerplay to defend and a spirited performance saw them hold together to complete a brilliant powerplay kill.

It was of little surprise that Cesky would again create another chance in the game and that came on 56:08 when he linked-up with Mason Webster to find Steve Osman who hit the winning goal for 4-3 to the victorious Mos.

Youngster Jake Stedman was the Invicta man of the match, Dan Rose receiving the same honours for the home side.

Picture supplied by Nicola Allen.