Maidenhead United 3-0 Welling United
Maidenhead United 3-0 Welling United

Lacklustre Welling United tumbled to their heaviest defeat of the season at Maidenhead United.

Playing up hill and into the wind, Welling struggled to hold the Vanarama National League South leaders.

They were not helped by losing both centre halves through injury in the first thirty five minutes however they were already two goals down by that stage.

Defensively, they were opened up too often whilst, for the second away game in a row, they rarely looked like scoring.

Dean Inman had an early half chance with an overhead effort that flew over then Dave Tarpey got behind the defence for the first time but shot wide.

After Alex Cathline scuffed wide for Welling Harry Pritchard got beyond the Welling defence but fired over.

In the 21st minute, the hosts went ahead with a goal of brutal simplicity. Tarpey sent over a high corner and Inman powered a header home from close range.

Seven minutes later it became two. Dan Walker made a weak effort at defending from the front and Maidenhead broke.

Sean Marks’ first touch allowed Tarpey to get in behind Sean Francis and he smashed home his 36th goal of the season. Francis strained a groin muscle in his attempt to tackle and limped off to be replaced by Dean Leacock.

Soon after Rickie Hayles took a knock on the head and although he tried to keep going, he also had to retire.

Chris Lewington kept the score down to two with a great save to deny Tarpey and a more routine one from Pritchard.

Walker had a shot saved by Carl Pentney at the other end before Maidenhead made it three in first half injury time.

Another high Tarpey corner was punched out by Lewington under pressure from Marks. It was headed back across the area and James Mulley blasted home.

That was the end of the scoring, as despite having the better of the conditions in the second period, Welling showed little sign that they could get back into the game.

Tarpey might have increased the Magpies’ lead but Lewington made another good block then Pritchard fired high and wide.

Pentney made another comfortable save from Walker before James Comley fired just wide for Maidenhead.

Dover Athletic’s Jack Parkinson, on loan at Maidenhead, came on as a substitute against his former club with eight minutes remaining but the closest either team came to scoring in the final minutes was when Pierre Joseph-Dubois lifted a long free kick over the bar.


Maidenhead United: Pentney, Clemira, Steer, Upward, Massey, Inman, Tarpey, Comley (Parkinson 82), Marks (Barratt 75), Mulley, Pritchard (Cox 75).

Subs not used: Wiltshire, Peters.


Welling United: Lewington, Hatton, Brown, Fuseini, Hayles (Karagiannis 35), Francis (Leacock 29), Walker, Waldren, Kathline, Crawford, Murrell-Williamson (Joseph-Dubois 77).

Subs not used: Richards, Amu.


Maidenhead United

Goalscorers: Inman 21, Tarpey 28, Mulley 45:

Yellow cards: None

Red cards: None


Welling United:

Goalscorers :None

Yellow cards: Crawford, Waldren

Red cards: None


Referee: Sam Purkiss

Assistants: Mike Desborough and Michael Smith


Attendance: 968


Welling star player: Jordan Brown.

Pictures supplied by Dave Budden.