Lordswood 0-2 Beckenham Town
Lordswood 0-2 Beckenham Town

It was Beckenham Town who came out on top on a tight affair at Martyn Grove this afternoon.

Report by Aiden Buck

Goals from Luis Medina and Richard Atkins both of which came in the second half sent the away side back up the A2 with all three points.

Lordswood battled bravely but it wasn’t to be there day and had Dan Smith to thank for keeping them in the game with some excellent saves in both halves.

As the game got underway it was an even contest, until a spark of magic from Man of the Match Medina called Smith into an early top draw save to keep the score at 0-0.

The visitors were in the ascendency now and Adam Wadmore’s free-kick was also saved low down by Smith.

Lordswood’s first real chance to take the lead was somewhat wasted by Jordan Wells, but his shot went high over Michael McEntagart’s bar.

Euan Sahadow was the next to go close for the home side, having been put through by Wells he could only send his shot agonisingly wide of McEntagart’s far post.

Then came a couple of half chances, one for Wadmore of the Becks who saw his shot deflected for a corner. Then for the Wood with Andy Irvine shooting over the bar.

Beckenham were then in the driving seat as the second half wore on with a number of chances coming their way. Firstly when Greg Benbow’s cross found its way to Jez Hammond but he could only direct his header wide of Smith’s goal. Shortly after they had another excellent opportunity but Medina’s header was saved well saved Smith who was in inspired form between the sticks.

The final chance of the half fell to the home side, when a Ricky Gundry’s cross to Irvine couldn’t be turned past McEntagart.

Half time 0-0

As the second half got underway it was the Wood who began the brighter of the two sides, and indeed created the first chance of the half.

Sahadow did well to get a cross into the Beckenham area, which Wells rose highest to connect to but saw his header go just wide of the post.

Wells was in again shortly after that chance, but when he was one on one with just the keeper to beat but he couldn’t find the back of the net. Would Lordswood come to rue those early missed chances?

The away side started to find their way back into the match as the half wore on, and they began to apply more and more pressure to the Lordswood back line.

Benbow was in again and his cross into the area was met by Richard Atkins but he couldn’t keep his header on target. They then hit the crossbar twice in quick succession, Wadmore the man to come the closest yet to opening the scoring.

The away fans didn’t have to wait much longer for their side to take the lead. A misplaced pass from the home team gifted the ball to Medina, one on one with Smith he made no mistake, coolly chipping the keeper to make it 0-1.

With the home side trying to get that all important equaliser it meant that McEntagart was called into action to keep the visitors advantage. Irvine was the first to force him into making a save, before he saved well from Jordan well, when he was through one on one.

There were only a few minutes left on the clock when Beckenham Town sealed all three points.

It was goalscorer Medina who this time turned provider, slotting through Atkins who calmly slotted past Smith, to make it 0-2.

Credit to Lordswood though they battled right to the end and in the last minute Frank Griffin came close to grabbing a goal that would have set-up a grandstand finish, but his shot went just inches over the bar.

Full Time 0-2

Lordswood: Smith, Kane, Griffin, Cheek (Ogbeifun,83) Irvine, Rogers, Sahadow, Huggins, Creed (Blake, 75), Wells ©, Gundry (Carter, 87)

Subs not used: Rogers

Beckenham Town: McEntagart, Robinson, Benbow, Wadmore ©, Hammond, Fitzsimons, Owen, Healy, Medina, Farrell

Subs: McGeehan, Santos, Rose, Fisher, Paul

Man of the Match: Luis Medina

Attendance: 65