Invicta Dynamos 2-3 MK Thunder
Invicta Dynamos 2-3 MK Thunder

The Invicta Dynamos failed to live up to expectations as they lost their first home league game of the new campaign.

Going into Sunday night’s clash against a strengthened Milton Keynes Thunder side, the Dynamos were hoping to put Saturday night’s 4-0 loss at Basingstoke Bison swiftly behind them.

However, the travelling side had other ideas and were ultimately to go home with the two points after a scrappy affair.

The Dynamos took to the ice in front of a buoyant and expectant crowd, not helped by delays caused by a new ticketing system imposed by the rink and a swift change of plexi glass that was broken during the warm up.

When face off finally took place some thirty minutes later than originally planned, Dynamos head coach Kevin Parrish was able to send onto the ice a full strength and new look roster.

With the fans still settling into their seats and tucking into their assorted snacks, the Dynamos took the lead as early as the third minute as Callum Fowler fired home from an acute angle.

That lead was to last just over three minutes though as a complete mess of a line change by the Dynamos saw Hallden Barnes-Garner gifted the puck and he simply tucked the puck beyond the stranded Damien King.

The visitors thought they’d taken the lead late on in the period, but the officials correctly spotted the puck had been kicked home.

It was the Dynamos that were to be denied in the 33rd minute, with the official blowing his whistle just a fraction of a second before Adam Rehak poked home, much to the frustration of the import and most of the crowd.

Against the run of play and with the home side feeling like they were getting on top, Milton Keynes took the lead in the 46th minute. Once again the Dynamos were the masters of their own downfall, gifting Ross Bowers the puck and he just had to finish past King.

Less than four minutes later and it was all square once again with Fowler making full use of a powerplay to roof the puck past Ben Annetts in the MK goal.

With the game getting ever stretched and both sides looking weary, it seemed as though the game was going to overtime for the first time this season, but Milton Keynes had other ideas.

An attacking face off saw Jamie Line feed Bowers and his team-mate did the rest, leaving the home crowd stunned.

The remaining two and a half minutes saw the Dynamos throw everything they could at Thunder looking for an equaliser, including pulling netminder Damien King for the final 33 seconds, but it proved to be in vain.

The back to back defeats is a far from perfect start to the season for a Dynamos side that now know they are in for a real challenge this season.

Kevin Parrish will have his work cut out this week to lift his side ahead of Saturday night’s trip to Cardiff Fire and the home game against Swindon Wildcats on Sunday, but he’s confident going into the two games.

To listen to our exclusive interview with Kevin Parrish, click here: