Hythe Town 5-3 Chipstead
Hythe Town 5-3 Chipstead

The Hythe Town march towards the play-offs continued on Saturday afternoon in an amazing 5-3 win at home to Chipstead at Reachfields.  

It was the Cannons who looked the more dangerous throughout the first half and were ahead on only four minutes as a Darren Oldaker free-kick was not cleared by the Chipstead defence but fell to prolific goal scorer Zak Ansah who was free and able to slot home easily.

Hythe continued to press as Chris Kinnear lofted a shot over the bar and then a strike by Ryan Palmer curled on to the cross bar and away. Oldaker was then to put a pass into Kieron Campbell who also lifted his shot high over the bar. Chipstead had to wait until the 20th minute before troubling the home defence as Billy Carney worked his way clear but scuffed his shot wide.

It was the Cannons who continued to look the more likely as Liam King surged into the penalty area but his final effort went wide and then a Palmer corner was headed over by Charlie Webster. Campbell was then to move forward but his shot was cleared only to King who couldn’t quite get the ball back from a tight angle. On the counter attack after 43 minutes and very much against the run of play Chipstead got the equaliser as Eddie Dsane found himself clear and made no mistake putting the ball past Hythe keeper Will Godmon and into the net to ensure the game was level at the interval.

Within five minutes of the restart, Hythe took a two-goal lead as firstly after 47 minutes a melee in the Chipstead area saw the ball ping around like a pin-ball as Hythe had a number of attempts cleared away before it finally was put in to his goal by defender Matt Warren.  Within two minutes King picked up the ball on the edge of the area and curled his majestic shot into the top right-hand corner of the net. The visitors did have a couple of opportunities as a speculative shot from Carney from 25 yards sailed over the bar and then Danny Cumber broke free but spooned over when it looked easier to score.

Ansah was then to have two opportunities to increase his goal tally as firstly he managed to get a shot away that went wide and then he pounced on a defensive mistake but this time he shot straight at Chipstead keeper Michael Sealey.  However, Chipstead didn’t give up as Dylan Cascoe shot over the bar and then Dsane got through the Hythe defence and was one on one with Godmon but his shot looped over the keeper but also over the bar. However, Hythe were to increase their lead on 69 minutes as Campbell’s persistence was rewarded as he broke through the Chipstead defence and forced the ball home.

The game should have been over but the visitors would not lay down and die and reduced the deficit on 72 minutes as Dsane picked up the ball and sent a dipping shot just under the cross bar and into the net.  However, Hythe regained their three-goal lead on 77 minutes as substitute Jerson Dos Santos got onto the ball on the edge of the area and finished neatly to make it 5-2. The goal scoring was not over as Chipstead yet again narrowed the gap as the Hythe defence failed to clear the ball and Dean Lodge helped himself and slotted home. There was a chance at either end in the last five minutes as Chipstead threatened with Dsane beating Ryan Johnson to the ball but shot straight at Godmon and then at the other end Campbell neatly chipped over a defender and then ran on but found his final effort easily saved by Sibley.

The win meant that the Cannons moved five points ahead of Walton Casuals in the last play-off place with two games to play. Casuals however have a game in hand. Hythe have an away game next Saturday at East Grinstead Town.

Team: Will Godmon, Salvyn Kisitu, Charlie Webster, Chris Kinnear (Henry Arnold 75 mins), Ryan Johnson, Mitchell Chapman, Ryan Palmer, Darren Oldaker, Zak Ansah (Josh Stirman 81 mins), Liam King (Jerson Dos Santos 67 mins), Kieron Campbell.

Scorers: Hythe Town-Zak Ansah 4 mins, Matt Warren (OG) 47 mins, Liam King 49 mins, Kieron Campbell 69 mins, Jerson Dos Santos 77 mins. Chipstead-Eddie Dsane 42 & 72 mins, Dean Lodge 83 mins.

Attendance: 255