Hythe Town 1-2 Greenwich Borough
Hythe Town 1-2 Greenwich Borough

Lowly Greenwich Borough provided an uncomfortable shock to Hythe Town as they came from behind to deservedly win 2-1 at Reachfields on Tuesday evening.

Things did start brightly for Hythe as they produced the first attack of the game after just two minutes as Nathan Daly headed wide from a Kieron Campbell free-kick. Almost immediately at the other end Teshuane Tyreece Walters worked his way into a shooting position and sent his attempt wide. The hosts continued to look dangerous as Junior Aikhionbare forced Greenwich keeper Thomas McGill to push the ball around the post from a shot on the left-hand side.

Chances were coming at both ends as Laurent Mendy got onto a loose ball as the Hythe defence failed to clear but his final attempt was deflected wide. From the resultant corner Reece Cave forced a save from point blank range by Hythe keeper, Ryan Nicholls and then Nicholls smothered a shot from distance from Reece Deakin.  As the half progressed it was Hythe who began to take control of the game. Campbell had a shot come cross that drifted just over the bar and then he laid the ball off to Zak Ansah who lifted the ball over the bar.

On 29 minutes Hythe took a deserved lead as Mitchell Dickenson sent in a long ball to Zak Ansah who neatly fed Charlie Webster who swept the ball past McGill into the corner of the net. This was the start of Hythe brightest period of the game as Webster was involved again as he played the ball in to Akhionbare who headed into the arms of McGill and then with five minutes to go until the break Campbell crossed from the left to Ansah who scooped his effort over the bar. One chance for the visitors on the stroke of half time saw Cave shoot straight at Nicholls.

Greenwich up the gears in the second half and took the initiative as five minutes in Kayne Roberts forced Nicholls to push the ball around the post. At the other end Webster fed the ball to Ansah but he was denied by the outstretched foot of McGill. However, then came the four minutes that turned the game around.  Firstly, on the hour, Connor sent in a cross from the left  into the penalty area. The ball was met by Mendy who passed onto Ryan King-Elliott whose shot went into the bottom far corner of the net. Then Greenwich completed their deserved come back as Tyreece-Walters delivered a free-kick from the right into Tyreece Owen who fed Mendy who finished neatly.

Hythe did look for the equaliser but were unable to breakdown the resolute Greenwich defence and actually the visitors could have extended their lead on 83 minutes as Owen headed over from a Roberts cross. Owen was able to clear an Ansah looping header and then in the dying minutes Webster played the ball into Dickenson but his effort went straight at McGill and Greenwich held onto to their three well earned points.

Hythe, who have now lost the last two home league games, must regroup before Saturday’s vital league game at Whyteleafe.

Team: Ryan Nicholls, Salvyn Kisitu, Aziz Lyoubi, Zach Fagan, Nathan Daly, Mitchell Dickenson, Charlie Webster, Nigel Neita (Chris Kinnear 64 mins), Zak Ansah, Junior Aikhionbare (Jack Sammoutis 45 mins), Kieron Campbell.  

Scorers: Hythe Town – Charlie Webster 29 mins. Greenwich Borough – Ryan Elliott-King 60 mins, Laurent Mendy 64 mins

Attendance: 130