Guiseley 0-1 Bromley
Guiseley 0-1 Bromley

Iffy Allen’s back heel finish three minutes into stoppage time saw Bromley snatch victory against a resilient ten man Guiseley although Bromley were nearly made to pay the price for two missed penalties in a game of high drama at Nethermoor Park.

With home side Guiseley unbeaten in five league and cup games and resurgent under the management of Paul Cox it was always going to be a tough ask for Bromley to return from Leeds with points. Bromley manager Neil Smith was able to welcome the return of Tyrone Sterling at left back as well as hand a starting debut to recent signing Tashan Adeyinka. On the afternoon of the game Bromley also announced the signing of former Scunthorpe and Grimsby attacking midfielder Dominic Vose who was named on the bench.

The game was to get off to a dramatic start inside the opening three minutes as Guiseley’s Ash Palmer was dismissed for a professional foul on Louis Dennis. Dennis and Adam Mekki had combined to split open the home defence and as Dennis attempted to shoot with just Jonny Maxted to beat he was taken down from behind by Palmer. Dennis himself stepped up for the penalty but Maxted was to prove his equal from 12 yards as the Guiseley custodian parried away the strike.

With 87 minutes of the game remaining and a numerical advantage for Bromley the pattern of the match was set as Guiseley kept as compact as possible and Bromley tried to probe and find a way past the robust Guiseley backline.

Tashan Adeyinka was to prove a handful for the Guiseley defence as the muscular debutant made himself a persistent nuisance and linked the play well with the wingers. Adeyinka tested Maxted with a header from a Mekki cross in the ninth minute before his curling effort from the edge of the 18 yard box was deflected inches wide of the Guiseley goal.

Sandwiched in between those efforts Guiseley saw a rare sight of goal when Jack Holland made a hash of a clearance that allowed Rowan Liburd a clear run on goal but the front man volleyed his effort wide when in truth he should have worked David Gregory.

Guiseley to all intents and purposes were hoping to profit from their height advantage at set pieces and two minutes before half time a long throw created such an opportunity but substitute Jean-Yves Koue Niate’s goalbound shot was blocked by a combination of three defenders.

There was still time for one final effort before the half time whistle and it was the closet either side was to come to a goal. Mekki floated in a free kick that found Josh Rees unmarked in the penalty area but the free scoring midfielder’s volley was tipped unto the crossbar by Maxted. It was a magnificent save that was worthy of the admission price itself.

The second half saw much the same pattern as the first with Bromley toiling to create an opening and Guiseley’s organisation and workrate more than matching their numerically advantaged opponents. Bromley for the most part were restricted to efforts from distance with Luke Wandio’s curling effort being the best of the bunch but none forced Maxted into a save.

It was to be the introduction of two substitutes in the final 15 minutes that finally tipped the game in Bromley’s balance, Dominic Vose and Iffy Allen entered the fray for Mekki and Wanadio respectively and both were to make telling contributions.

Prior to their impact, Frankie Raymond had produced a moment of magic when his exquisite through ball split the Guiseley defence and found the on rushing Louis Dennis in the penalty area but Dennis’ attempt at goal was tame when he should have forced Maxted into a more strenuous save.

Bromley were to be awarded a second penalty five minutes from time when Allen found Raymond and the midfielder was adjudged to have been fouled in the penalty area. Yet again, however, Maxted was to be the hero when he saved Rees’ soft penalty kick to keep the game goalless.

As the game drifted deep into stoppage time the two Bromley substitutes were to have the last laugh and break Guiseley hearts in the process. Vose’s enterprising run from the left wing took him past two Guiseley defenders to the byline, his cut back found Allen who from close range produced an impetuous back heel flick that gave Maxted no chance and snatched victory at the death.


Guiseley AFC: Maxted, Brown, Palmer ©, Lawlor, Hurst (Niate 14), Molyneux (Lenighan 14), Odejayi (Fondop 70), M’Boungou, Holden, Liburd, Harvey

Subs not used: Rooney, Lenighan


Bromley:  Gregory, Dunne, Holland, Johnson, Sterling, Wanadio (Allen 79), Raymond, Rees, Mekki (Vose 74), Dennis, Adeyinka

Subs not used: Higgs, Campbell, Wynter,

Goals: Allen (90+3)


Referee: Mr Paul Marsden

Attendance: 1074