Gillingham 1-1 Peterborough United
Gillingham 1-1 Peterborough United

A last gasp Max Ehmer goal was enough to earn Gillingham a point against Peterborough United at Priestfield on Saturday.

Played in driving rain for large parts of the game, it looked like lady luck, the officials and even the weather were going to go against Steve Lovell’s side, but the 7,000 plus strong crowd were treated to a grandstand finish.

With just the one change from the side that lost at Wigan Athletic the week before, Elliot List coming in for Lee Martin, The Gills were hoping to start on the front foot, but it wad the visitors that had the better of the opening exchanges.

Jack Marriott looked dangerous for Posh, whilst Tom Eaves was handled with care by the opposing defence.

As the rain began to lash across the lush green turf at Priestfield, chances were at a premium as both midfields struggled to come to terms with the slick surface.

The closest the deadlock came to being broken was in the 43rd minute as Marriott broke free from the Gillingham defence only to see his curling shot blocked by the feet of the impressive Tomas Holy.

Refreshed from fifteen minutes out of the rain, the two teams came out for the second half looking to up the physicality with Gillingham deemed to have been too physical at times by the ineffective official trio.

Buoyed by 476 travelling fans in an attendance of 7,154, again it was Peterborough that had the better of the opening spell of the second period.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 67th minute, Danny Lloyd sweeping home Liam Shephard’s cross from the right hand side.

Sensing they needed to up their game, Gillingham started to throw everything they had at the visitors and it looked to have paid dividends six minutes later with Josh Parker seemingly stabbing home, but to the shock of the Rainham End, the officials deemed the ball hadn’t crossed the line.

Moments later and Tom Eaves was felled in the box, but again vociferous appeals from the Gillingham support were waved away.

The introduction of Conor Wilkinson on for Callum Reilly changed Gillingham’s approach and they began to pose more of a threat to the visiting defence.

Finally, Gillingham’s reward for all their efforts came in the 94th minute as a long hopeful ball forward was swept into the path of Ehmer by former Newcastle United defender Steven Taylor, the Gills defender taking the ball in his stride, before calmly slotting the ball past former Gills keeper Jonathan Bond.

Cue delirium in the Rainham End and the surrounding stands as the Gills players wheeled away to the corner flag by the Gordon Road Stand, creating a bundle of players and fans alike.

The final whistle was to follow soon after and the fans appreciated the never say die attitude introduced under Steve Lovell who avoided the curse of being named Manager of the month.

The point sees The Gills drop one place to 13th in League One, crucially eight points outside both the play-offs and the relegation zone.

Next up for Steve Lovell’s side is a trip to Northampton Town on Tuesday night.


Gillingham line up: Tomas Holy, Luke O’Neill, Bradley Garmston (Connor Ogilvie 74), Max Ehmer, Gabriel Zakuani, Jake Hessenthaler, Elliot List (Scott Wagstaff 67), Callum Reilly (Conor Wilkinson 74), Mark Byrne, Josh Parker, Tom Eaves.

Subs not used: Tom Hadler, Ben Nugent, Liam Nash, Franck Moussa.

Goal: Ehmer (93).

Booked: Byrne (foul 46), Reilly (foul 48), Garmston (deliberate handball 65), Wilkinson (dissent 85).

Peterborough United line up: Jonathan Bond,Jack Baldwin, Steven Taylor, Ryan Tafazolli, Liam Shephard, Michael Doughty, Anthony Grant, Joe Ward (Andrew Hughes 80), Danny Lloyd (Chris Forrester 89), Jack Marriott, Omar Bogle (Junior Morias 66).

Subs not used: Conor O’Malley, George Cooper, Leo Da Silva Lopes, Idris Kanu.

Goal: Lloyd (67).

Booked: Grant (foul 14).

Referee: Andy Davies.

Attendance: 7,154 (476 Peterborough).