Gateshead 1-2 Bromley
Gateshead 1-2 Bromley

Brett Williams’ last minute header gave Bromley all three points at Gateshead on Saturday afternoon, despite not leading until the 93rd minute.

Danny Johnson scored the opening goal of the match when he headed in a cross from Richard Peniket on the goal line.

Louis Dennis brought Bromley back into the game with time running out when he slotted home a penalty after Jack Holland was taken down.

But it was Williams who’ll take the headlines after nodding in a cross from Adam Mekki in added time.

This was the hosts’ first game since Neil Aspin left the managers role at the International Stadium and, with a caretaker manager to impress, the Heed’s players pushed on for an early goal.

In the opening moments the ball fell to the their temporary left winger, Scott Barrow who sliced his shot over and, after a slow period of play, Neill Byrne headed wide on 20 minutes.

With neither team able to create anything in the opening half an hour, any chances came to those with luck on their side. A Gateshead shot from midfield yet again came to the feet of Barrow but the natural full-back’s shot from a tight angle hit the side netting.

The Tynesider’s domination went on as time in the first half progressed. Danny Johnson cut inside well on 28 minutes before curing an effort over. Moments later David Gregory got off his line quickly to prevent a Jamal Fyfield cross from reaching Jordan Burrow.

Bromley continued to struggle in possession and allow their hosts chances. Burrow was able to lay the ball off to Luke Hannant but the midfielder couldn’t keep his effort down, keeping the game goalless going into the half time break.

Despite their tough first half, it was Bromley who forced the opening save of the game after 50 minutes. A run from the right by Louis Dennis culminated with the attacker firing an effort across the face of goal which Dan Hanford was equal to.

After an hour a series of Heed corners forced the visitors to absorb pressure again, but the closest they could come was a long range effort from Russell Penn which flew inches wide of the target.

Brett Williams came on as a substitute in the first half following an injury to George Porter, and he had the strength to hold off Neill Byrne, only to fire a shot into the side netting for Bromley’s best chance of the game.

However, it was Gateshead’s first effort on target that opened the scoring. Richard Peniket’s cross from the right wing found the head of Danny Johnson who, despite having two defenders around him, nodded in from close range on 68 minutes.

The visitors tried to get back into the game straight away, and just five minutes after going behind Louis Dennis was set up by Jack Holland, only to fire wide in plenty of space.

There was a hint of fortune about Bromley’s equaliser. Jack Holland was taken down in the penalty area and, despite Scott Barrow seeming to get to the ball, the referee pointed to the spot, allowing Louis Dennis to score from the spot.

The game finally kicked into life with time running out, Holland wasn’t able to convert a chance of his own before another long range effort from Penn went agonisingly wide.

With four minutes of added time remaining, both teams pushed on looking for a winner, but it was the Ravens who were able to take home the three points. A quick counter attack down the left side from Adam Mekki allowed the winger to find another substitute- Brett Williams- who headed in the winner with seconds remaining.

Those points send Bromley up to sixth in the table.


Gateshead: Hanford, Vassell, Barrow, Byrne, Fyfield, Johnson, Burrow, McLaughlin, Penn, Hannant, Williams (Peniket)

Subs not used: Peniket, Preston, Maxwell, Langstaff, Macleod


Bromley: Gregory, Dunne, Rees, Holland, Allen (Mekki), Dennis, Higgs, Johnson, Sterling, Wanadio (Chorley), Porter (Williams)

Subs not used: Raymond, Wynter


Referee: Mr J Hull

Assistants: Mr M Sowerby, Mr J Mulligan

Fourth official: Mr D Pill

Attendance: 853 (52 away)