Folkestone Invicta 3-1 Tooting and Mitcham United
Folkestone Invicta 3-1 Tooting and Mitcham United

For the second home game in succession, Invicta produced two goals in the final 10 minutes to go second in the Bostik League Premier Division table.

Having already beaten the Terrors twice in the past couple of months, it was no surprise at all when the ball was spread wide to the left and Scott Heard’s splendid pullback was blasted low past Tooting keeper Matte Pierson by Invicta striker Ian Draycott with just seven minutes on the clock.

Even their harshest critics are admitting that Neil Cugley’s men are producing some excellent passing football  box-to-box but Invicta dropped their guard in the final 10 minutes of the first half when wide man Danny Bassett broke free on the left and coolly lobbed Tim Roberts to put Tooting level six minutes from the end of the first period.

The second period was far more even in terms of possession but if one side was ever going to win this one it was going to be Folkestone and their patience was rewarded with Draycott’s second goal of the game after the excellent Heard carried the ball forward from halfway and played it inside as the game entered its last 10 minutes.

Industrious midfielder Heard was surely a strong contender for man of the match but, having been harshly booked for a tackle in the first half was shown a red card by referee Isaac Searle and Invicta were reduced to ten men for the final stages leaving majority of the home crowd baffled.

We await Mr Searle’s report, but his actions took the gloss off a great afternoon for the home fans.

But any fears they had over the destination of the three points disappeared when the inspirational Ade Yusuff smacked home his 12th goal of the season six minutes from the end of normal time.

Invicta: Roberts; Vincent, Davies, Newman, Blanks (Wright 58); Hasler (Taylor 77), Heard, Everitt, McCann; Draycott, Yusuff (Cooper 88)

Subs not used: Sahadow, Shaw

Referee: I Searle

Attendance: 439

Pictures supplied by Don Linkin.