Exeter 1-2 Charlton Athletic
Exeter 1-2 Charlton Athletic

First goals for the club from Billy Clarke and Regan Charles-Cook were enough for the Addicks to come from behind to beat Exeter 2-1, and progress to the Second Round of the Carabao Cup at St James Park on Tuesday evening.

Charlton were backed by a surprisingly good following of 308, and the side – which had eleven changes from Saturday’s starting team – gave them a night to remember.
The starting XI contained six academy products – Dillon Phillips, Anfernee Dijksteel, Ezri Konsa, Joe Aribo, Regan Charles-Cook and Karlan Ahearne-Grant – and they were joined by Reeco Hackett-Fairchild in ‎the second-half.
There are two changes to the format of the competition this season. Any game that goes to a penalty shoot-out will be settled by the new ABBA system.
And clubs will be allowed to use a fourth substitute in ties that go to extra-time.
Phillips showed why many believe ‎he should be the Addicks’ first choice keeper this season. He was vocal, organised his defence, commanded his area, and produced a couple of stunning stops.
Ahearne-Grant looks reborn. He now appears to be the player he threatened to become when he first broke into the team.
On the left hand side of the advanced midfield trio, he was a constant threat throughout the game.
Regan Charles-Cook is another who appeared to go off the boil after showing initial promise. He was dangerous on the right, and netted the winner.
At the other end of the spectrum veteran skipper, Johnnie Jackson, still has the enthusiasm of a teenager. When he came over to a throw in front of the travelling fans, he showed his trademark commitment and geed the crowd up.
The Grecians started brightly, but Charlton’s class soon came to the fore, though both sides had chances in the first period.
‎Exeter took the lead nine minutes after the break in peculiar circumstances. Lee Holmes swung in a free-kick from the right, which evaded everyone, and finished in the corner of Phillips’ net.
The Addicks restored parity after 73 minutes. Ahearne-Grant played the ball in from the left, and Billy Clarke – on as a substitute for Ben Reeves – scored via a deflection.
Six minutes later, Charles-Cook rolled the winner in.
The only negative was Andrew Crofts’ late red card. The midfielder was dismissed after going to ground to make a tackle.
Karl Robinson was unhappy with the decision, the manager did not think the challenge even warranted a yellow.
The Second Round will be played in two weeks time.

Charlton: Phillips; Dijksteel, Konsa, Sarr, Jackson; Crofts, Aribo, Charles-Cook, Reeves (Clarke 59), Ahearne-Grant; Watt (Hackett-Fairchild 67). ‎

Subs (not used): Maynard-Brewer, Bauer, Barnes, Kennedy, Umerah.

Goals: Clarke 73, Charles-Cook 79

Booked: Charles-Cook 90 (foul on)‎.

Sent off: Crofts 83‎.

Exeter City: Pym; Sweeney, Archibald-Henville (Jay 81), Bown, Croll;‎ Taylor, James, Tillson, Holmes; Reid (Brunt 82), Reid.

Subs (not used): Hamon, Woodman, Wheeler, Moore-Taylor, Byrne.

Goal: Holmes 54.‎

Booked: Reid 57 (dissent), Tillson 60 (foul).

Referee: Tim Robinson (Sussex).
Attn: 2,699 (308  Charlton). ‎