Eastbourne Borough 1-0 Welling United
Eastbourne Borough 1-0 Welling United

Lloyd Dawes’ early goal was sufficient for Eastbourne Borough to inflict a first defeat of the season to Welling United.

After that, Welling dominated but Eastbourne defended manfully and as much as the Wings huffed and puffed, they were unable blow the Sports’ house down.

In the opening minutes Arnaud Mendy got on the end of an uncertain Mark Smith punch out but his first time shot was deflected wide by the first of many brave Borough blocks.

Dean Cox tried his luck from distance for the Sports but fired well over before Danny Mills came close when meeting a deep Nassim L’Ghoul cross at full stretch.

Dawes fired over for Eastbourne before he grabbed the only goal. Welling gave up possession to easily and Sergio Torres’ quick through ball caught the assistant referee out of position and he missed the fact that Dawes was offside. The Borough striker was not bothered and bore down on goal before tucking inside the far post to give Dan Wilks no chance.

L’Ghoul almost equalised immediately but his header from Jack Jebb’s free kick came back off the post and Thierry Audel’s first time effort from the rebound went wide.

Mills then swung to fire against the underside of the bar and L’Ghoul following up put the rebound over.

Mendy had another effort deflected past the post then Yannis Ambroisine headed over from another Jebb free kick.

After the interval three Jebb corners in quick succession caused chaos in Borough’s six yard box. The first required a good save by Smith from Audel’s header and the other two required desperate blocks and clearances.

Ryan Hall had a thirty yarder well saved by Wilks in a rare raid but Welling were soon on the attack again and L’Ghoul had another shot deflected wide before Jebb shot over.

A Jebb free kick also went over before Brendan Kiernan was unable to guide his header from John Paul Kissock’s cross on target.

Former Dartford wide man, Dave Martin, had a chance to kill the game off on the break but over-ran it and failed to get a shot away.

Jebb fired over following another goal-mouth scramble and Mills headed over from Craig Braham-Barrett’s cross. However, even with five additional minutes played welling were unable to beat Smith and his defence.


Eastbourne Borough: Smith, Pollard, Campbell, Wills, Ransom, Gardiner, Cox (West 72), Torres, Walker (Martin 49), Dawes (Odubade 63), Hall.

Subs not used: Pearson, Briggs.


Welling United: Wilks, Gibbons, Braham-Barrett, Ijaha (Goldberg 79), Ambroisine, Audel, McCallum (Kiernan 58), Mendy (Kissock 63), Mills, Jebb, L’Ghoul.

Subs not used: Pinney, Orlu.


Eastbourne Borough:

Goalscorers: Dawes (19)

Yellow cards: Pollard, Wills, Hall, Campbell

Red cards: None


Welling United:

Goalscorers: None

Yellow cards: None

Red cards: None



Referee: Steven Hughes

Assistants: Scott Rudd and Kirsty Dowle


Attendance: 585


Welling star player: Jordan Gibbons

Pictures supplied by Dave Budden.