East Thurrock United 0-1 Welling United
East Thurrock United 0-1 Welling United

Adam Coombes marked his return to Welling United with the only goal as they claimed an important win at East Thurrock United.

Victory for the Wings kept them in eighth place in the Vanarama National League South but they are now only outside the play-off zone on goal difference.

Magnus Okuonghae, on loan from Maidstone United, also made his Welling debut whilst Ben Jefford returned from injury as Jamie Coyle made three changes to the team that lost at Wealdstone on Monday evening.

Although the hosts had a couple of early half chances through Sam Higgins, Welling were soon in control.

Ryan Hall sent Coombes away down the right but his shot went across the face of goal. Coombes then turned provider when he back-heeled to Olumide Durojaiye. His low shot was kept out brilliantly by the foot of Lukas Lidakevicius and came out to Hall but his shot was blocked.

Okuonghae then played a long ball into space for Coombes to chase but when he cut in, he could only fire wide of the near post.

Jack Jebb curled just over after Coombes laid it back to him, then Jebb set up a chance for Bradley Goldberg but  Lidakevicius made another excellent save.

Joe Christou fired just wide for East Thurrock before they were forced into making a change when former Dart Lee Burns limped off injured to be replaced by Ryan Sammons.

Max Cornhill sent a pretty poor effort wide from the edge of the area but it was soon Welling who were on the attack again. Jebb hit a deep free kick and Joe Healy stole in at the far post but his volley flew over.

There was still time for one more Welling chance before half time but Goldberg was thwarted by another good block by Lidakevicius.

After the interval Welling continued to press and Coombes had a header saved from Hall’s cross before the latter fired wide when the Wings next attacked.

Harry Phipps, who played for Welling earlier in the season, had a shot blocked for the Rocks. It came out as far as Joe Christou but his shot was deflected wide.

Finally, the dead-lock was broken ten minutes into the second half. Another excellent Jebb free kick found Healy whose header was well saved by  Lidakevicius, but he couldn’t hold it and could only claw it into the path of Coombes who headed into the roof of the net from close range.

Higgins clipped in a cross that Cornhill headed over before Christou snatched a shot wide then Higgins fired well over.

Once more, Welling came close when a fierce Hall free kick flew back off the chest of  Lidakevicius.

In the closing minutes, East Thurrock did find the net but to no avail. Bailey Vose made his first save of the match and chaos followed in the area. Eventually, Christou forced it home but the flag was up for offside.

Deep into injury time, two Welling substitutes almost combined for a second goal. Jeffrey Monakana crossed towards Jamie Philpot but the Millwall loanee was unable to find the target.


East Thurrock United: Lidakevicius, Clark, Knott, Burns (Sammons 36), Peddie, Christou (Harris 83), Phipps, Higgins, Cornhill (Smith 73), Agyemang.

Subs not used: Yearwood.


Welling United: Vose, Driver, Jefford, Durojaiye, Okuonghae, Parkinson, Jebb (Monakana 62), Healy, Goldberg (Philpot 76), Coombes (Nanetti 90), Hall.

Subs not used: Coyle, Johnson.



East Thurrock United:

Goalscorers: None

Yellow cards: White, Clark

Red cards: None


Welling United:

Goalscorers:  Coombes (55)

Yellow cards: Durojaiye, Driver, Healy, Jefford, Monakana

Red cards: None


Referee: Lee Brennan

Assistants: Zack Ellis and Craig Kissi


Attendance: 318


Welling star player: Adam Coombes

Pictures supplied by Dave Budden.