Dover Athletic 1-2 Bromley
Dover Athletic 1-2 Bromley

Dover Athletic’s dreams of making the First round were over after a 2-1 home defeat to Bromley, in the third qualifying round of the FA Cup.

Match report by Matt Smart

Dover were unbeaten in three in all competitions and after finding their form at home, they were backed as the favourites here.

However Bromley thoroughly deserved this victory and now find themselves unbeaten in the last seven.

Manager Nicky Forster made three changes to his side that drew 1-1 at Welling on Tuesday night. Steve Watt, Jamie Smith and Calum Willock came in to replace Ian Simpemba, Steven Thomson and Billy Bricknell.

Dover started the better of the two teams, enjoying possession early on and created the first chance of the game. Tom Wynter crossed for striker Ben May to shot on the turn, however it was a comfortable save for Bromley goalkeeper, Joe Welch.

Jamie Smith also had a good chance when he was laid off by Calum Willock, with Smith putting the ball just wide of the far post.

However it was the away side who took the lead. It was experienced striker, Richard Paquette who is playing for his 20th club at the age of 29. He found the net in the 28th minute, capitalising on a blunder from Whites keeper, Mitch Walker. Walker failed to hold onto a cross from captain Ali Fuseini and it fell to feet of Paquette who stabbed the ball home.

Dover midfielder and new signing, Daryl McMahon was trying to pull the strings in the middle of the park. However Bromley grew stronger as the game progressed and applied constant pressure throughout.

Into the second half and Dover were lacking the urgency that they needed to get back into the game as Bromley stayed firm. Bromley almost doubled their lead when a break from a free-kick lead to Sanchez Ming powering down the right-hand side to cross for Pierre Joseph-Dubois to scoop over the bar, he should have done better.

Dover then forced a fine save from Welch with an hour gone. Welch having to dive down to his right from Smiths driving shot.

Then the changing moment of the second half came when Bromley manager, Mark Goldberg made a spot on substitution. Tony Finn replaced Joseph-Dubois in the 75th minute.

Finn made an instant impact. Under a minute after coming on, the substitute latched onto a pass from Fuseini and after poor defending, Finn was allowed a shot and found the far corner, slotting past Walker. Bromley were looking good for their lead and the job as almost done.

Dover gave themselves a lifeline with seven minutes to play. Dover won a corner after Welch’s fine save from Shane Huke. Daryl McMahon took the corner and after a scramble in the penalty area, the ball fell to May at the far post and he had the composure to take a touch and smash the ball past Welch, 2-1.

Dover had one chance to grab a dramatic equaliser. Another corner from McMahon found Huke who headed down from eight yards, only for the ball to sail agonisingly wide.

Bromley held on to progress to the next round and deservedly so. Dover will look to bounce back from this exit and prioritise on hopefully a successful campaign in the Blue Square South.



Dover make the long trip to Truro for their next game on Saturday in the Blue Square South.

Dover line up: Mitch Walker, Shane Huke, Tom Wynter, Dean Rance, Steve Watt, Danny Webb, Jamie Smith (Chris Sessegnon, 71), Daryl McMahon, Ben May, Calum Willock (Billy Bricknell, 58), Barry Cogan (Ricky Modeste, 46).

Unused subs: Ian Simpemba, Steven Thomson, Lee Hook, David Pilcher.

Goals: Ben May (83)

Bromley: Joe Welch, Sanchez Ming, Marlon Patterson, Ali Fuseini, Moses Swaibu, Liam Harwood, Danny Waldren, Mike Jones, Pierre Joseph-Dubois (Tony Finn, 75), Richard Paquette, Elliott Buchanan (Michael Malcolm, 85).

Unused subs: Jerrome Sobers, George Howard, Ian Daly, Aaron Rhule, Byron Thompson.

Goals: Richard Paquette (28) Tony Finn (75)

Attendance: 715

Referee: Mr Paul Harris

Picture by SM Harris