Charlton Athletic 3-1 Luton Town
Charlton Athletic 3-1 Luton Town

Charlton brought Luton’s 28 game unbeaten run to an end with a thrilling 3-1 win at The Valley on Saturday afternoon.

Team wise, there were four changes from the team that won at Wycombe on Tuesday evening. Chris Solly,‎ Naby Sarr, Krystian Bielik and Jonny Williams were restored to the team Anfernee Dijksteel, Jason Pearce, Darren Pratley and George Lapslie who all dropped to the bench.
‎Both sides played with a midfield diamond, which contributed to the game being so open.
The Addicks trailed to a first-half Harry Cornick strike, but second-half goals from Lyle Taylor (2) and Igor Vetokele gave Lee Bowyer’s team the points.
The game started at a cracking pace. Taylor shot just wide in the first minute after being put in by Vetokele.
For the visitors, George Moncur had an early chance blocked,but the Hatters took the lead after 15 minutes, when Cornick finished off a sweeping move involving Moncur and Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu.
At this stage, Luton’s sharp, incisive attacking play was causing Bowyer’s team problems, but the hosts gradually got into the contest, and came closest when a Taylor shot struck the bar.
The visitors’ keeper, James Shea, was arguably fotunate to receive only a yellow card when he rushed out and flattened Vetokele, just outside the area.
Taylor levelled things up for Charlton from the penalty spot, nine minutes after the restart. The penalty was awarded after Taylor was pushed over in an off the ball incident.
The Addicks sealed victory with two goals midway through the second period.  After 70 minutes, Bielik drove forward before releasing Vetokele.
The Angolan striker fired the ball across Shea and into the bottom corner of the net.
Two minures later Vetokele turned provider when his cross from the left was turned home by Taylor.
The Hatters were reduced to ten men three minutes from time, when Andrew Shinney’s foul on Williams‎ brought him a second yellow card.
Charlton saw the game out comfortably, to send their fans home in jubilant mood.
The win kept the Addicks’ slim automatic promotion hopes alive. A naturally delighted Bowyer had this to say after the game:
“It was very good. I think from start to finish it was good. Obviously we went in at half-time one down.
“I thought it was a good first 45 minutes from us. We created chances just like them, for me it was just two good teams hitting each other on the break.
“It was quite an open game, a good football match to watch as a neutral. I said to them at half-time I thought we were the better side going in.
“I said to them: ‘Keep doing what you are doing, believe in what you are doing, you will create more chances’.
“I think defensively we had to tighten up because at the time they were hitting us on the break.
“We obviously eradicated that second half, they couldn’t get out and we pinned them in. I thought we thoroughly deserved the game.” 

Charlton: Phillips; Solly, Bauer, Sarr, Purrington; Bielik (Pratley, 86), Cullen, Aribo, Williams (Djiksteel, 90); Taylor, Vetokele (Lapslie 77)‎.

Subs (not used): Maxwell, Pearce, Reeves, Parker.‎

Goals: Taylor 55 (pen), 72, Vetokele 70.

Booked: Taylor (32 dissent), Vetokele (64 foul)‎.

Luton: Shea; Stacey, Pearson, Bradley, Justin; Shinnie, Mpanzu, Berry (Sheehan 81), Moncur; Cornick (Connolly 68), Lee (Cummings 81).

Subs (not used): Isted, Baptiste, Thorne, Panter.‎

Goal: Cornick 15.‎

Booked: Shea 30 (foul), Shinnie 34 (foul), Berry 57 (foul), Sheehan 90 (dissent).‎

Sent off: Shinnie 87 (second bookable offence)‎.

Referee: Gavin Ward (Surrey).‎

Attendance: 16,449 (3,144 Luton).