Charlton Athletic 0-1 Scunthorpe United
Charlton Athletic 0-1 Scunthorpe United

Scunthorpe recorded only their second win in their last sixteen matches at The Valley on Saturday afternoon. An Ivan Toney close range effort was enough to secure the three points for the Iron.

The defeat leaves Charlton’s play-off hopes hanging by a thread. The Addicks probably need three wins and a draw from their final four games – against Shrewsbury, Portsmouth, Blackburn and Rochdale – to finish in the top six.
Lee Bowyer made three changes from the team that lost at Wimbledon on Tuesday.  Anfernee Dijksteel replaced Ezri Konsa, Jay Dasilva came in for Lewis Page, who was rested, and Nicky Ajose returned at the expense of Stephy Mavididi. Konsa and Mavididi dropped to the bench.
The game became a scrappy affair after a bright start. Joe Aribo, Ajose and Michal Zyro all tested Matt Gilks in the Scunthorpe goal, and Ben Amos had to save with his legs to foil Hakeeb Adelukun.
Adelukun was a constant thorn in Charlton’s side and he created what proved to be the decisive goal just past the half-hour mark.
He broke quickly down the left of the Addicks’ defence, ‎and rolled the ball across for Toney to stab home at the far post.
Josh Magennis, Patrick Bauer and Tariqe Fosu all had efforts after the interval, but the hosts never seriously looked likely to break their visitors down.
Charlton’s chances of reaching the play-offs have probably suffered irreparable harm in the last week.
Three games have yielded a solitary point with just one goal scored. That is nowhere near good enough for a side ‎aiming for promotion.
Charlton: Amos; Dijksteel, Bauer, Pearce , Dasilva; Reeves, Forster-Caskey, Aribo (Mavididi, 76), Kaikai (Fosu, 54); Ajose, Zyro (Magennis, 54).

Subs (not used): Phillips, Konsa, Lennon Kashi

Booked: Kaikai 45 (foul).‎

Scunthorpe : Gilks; Clarke, McArdle, Wallace, Townsend; Adelukun (Vermijl 84), Yates, Ojo, Morris; Toney (Novak 70), Holmes (McGeehan 76).

Subs (not used): Watson, Bishop, Hopper, Burgess.

Goal: Toney 31.‎

Referee: Graham Salisbury (Lancashire).
Attn: 11,877 (586  Scunthorpe).