Beckenham make Challenge Cup Final
Beckenham make Challenge Cup Final

BeckenhamTown’s 3-0 victory at Eden Park Avenue in the Macron SCEFL Challenge Cup, Semi Final, 2nd Leg overturned a first leg deficit to earn the club a second cup final appearance of the season, after victory last weekend had already earned them an appearance in the Kent Senior Trophy final.Beckenham Town

In a bright start, Fisher had the opportunity to extend their aggregate lead on 4 minutes. The visitors’ Junior James found himself through on goal after a defence error by The Becks’ Adam Watmore however his curling strike low to the ‘keepers left went narrowly wide.

On 13 minutes, The Fish again troubled The Becks back line, forcing ‘keeper Anibaba into action. A searching cross-field pass by Kieron Campbell found James who again found himself through on goal. Anibaba, showing great awareness, rushed out to the edge of his area to make a vital interception with The Becks clearing the danger.

Two minutes later, Micah Banton and Damon Ramsamy linked up well down the right side but Britnell’s effort was deflected wide.

Fisher created another good opportunity on 22 minutes. Campbell and James linking up well down their right side resulted in a solid strike but Campbell could only find the side netting from 25 yards out.

Then, just before half time, Beckenham took the lead, and more importantly, squared the tie on aggregate. A free kick on the left touchline on 42 minutes, taken by Ramsamy found Britnell at the far post who headed into the back of the net.

The Becks began the second half strongly, looking to extend their lead and get ahead on aggregate. On 51 minutes, Ramsamy and Britnell linked up well on the right resulting in Alfie Nunn blazing over the bar from just in front of the penalty spot.

Continuing to dominate the possession, The Becks had a glorious opportunity on 68 minutes. Ramsamy found himself through on goal but determined defending meant he was unable to get a shot away when in a good position on the edge of the left side of the penalty area.

The Becks’ pressure finally told on 73 minutes. An inviting inswinging corner on the right hand side by Steve McNamara was met by an unmarked Alfie Nunn on the back post with the simplest of headers into the back of the net. Beckenham had now turned the tie around in their favour, leading on aggregate.

The goal seemed to spur on the home side to push on whilst the visitors struggled to gain any momentum. With 10 minutes to go, The Becks had a further chance on goal. Ramsamy putting Marshall in on goal but the visiting ‘keeper McNamara saved well with his defence clearing the ensuing danger from the loose ball.

The Becks then scored a third and decisive goal on 88 minutes. Travis Gregory showed determination and strength to shrug off a defensive challenge on the right side of the penalty area. Fish’s ‘keeper McNamara, cutting the angle for Gregory, saved the shot only to watch it fall to the feet of substitute Jamie Humphries, who had only been on the pitch for 3 minutes, who directed the loose ball from 12yds out into the unguarded goal.

Fisher responded immediately making two changes whilst putting full back Charlie Gray up front in an attempt to get back in the game. Sadly, it was to no avail and The Beck’s held out to win the tie 3-0, winning the tie 6-4 on aggregate.


Beckenham Town: Anibaba, M. Banton, S. McNamara, Wadmore (Jackson, 85), Paul, Warren, Marshall (Humphries, 85), Britnell, Ramsamy, Nunn, Gregory

Sub not used: Wilks, Gassimu, Helps

Goals; 42 (Britnell), 73 (Nunn), 88 (Humphries)

Fisher FC: B. McNamara, P. Hanifan (Flemming, 70), Gray, H. Hanifan, Carr, Walton (Damarola, 88), Morgan, James (Seales, 88), Maguire ©, Campbell, Garrick

Sub not used: Draper, Burrell

Referee: Mr Wally James

Assistants: Mr Mark Jenkins, Mr Leigh Judd