Basingstoke Bison 7-2 Invicta Dynamos
Basingstoke Bison 7-2 Invicta Dynamos

The Invicta Dynamos started 2019 with a 7-2 defeat at the hands of Basingstoke Bison.

The Mos were unable to ice new import Oskars Ancitis who was still waiting for international clearance whilst Joe Allen, Ryan Giles and Callum Best were also missing meaning the Mos were only displaying 12 skaters against Bison’s 18. Referee for the evening was Blaine Evans.

Bison applied early pressure with Sampford shooting wide and then Morris having to save with his pads to deny Cowley. Morris then went on to deny King before the Mos were on a powerplay on 4:59 after Tommy Ralph was penalised for hooking. The Mos failed to make the extra man advantage count and the home side soon returned to full strength having rarely been troubled on the penalty kill. Bison then opened the scoring on 7:23 – Michal Klejna who shot under the arm of Morris for 1-0. A face-off violation gave the Mos another powerplay in the 10th minute and this time the Mos took full advantage – Brandon Miles winning the puck and finding Strawson in space who blasted beyond Dan Weller-Evans for 1-1 on 11:15. Bison applied further pressure on the Mos’ net for the remainder of the period but were denied by a combination of Morris and good defending.

The 2nd period started with Oscar Evans having two attempts on Morris – with both attempts blocked by the Mos’ netminder. The Mos then took the lead – Harrison Lillis shooting from distance which caught Weller-Evans flat footed with the Mos going 2-1 up on 23:18. Controversy and a bit talking point came on 25:38 – Morris looked to have shot covered but Cowley manged to poke the puck into the net for 2-2. Despite plenty of protests from the Dynamos for an infringement on Morris by Cowley referee Blaine Evans stood firm and awarded the goal.

On 28:55 the Bison took a 3-2 lead with Jay King hitting a first time shot past Morris. Two minutes later Cowley made it 4-2 – again the Dynamos protested the goal which lead to Morris getting a 10 minute penalty for misconduct (served by Jake Stedman) and Anthony Leone served with a match penalty for an obscene gesture which put the Bison on a 5 minute powerplay. The Mos managed to defend the powerplay and play out the remainder of the period without conceding.

The final period had Bison go 5-2 up on 42:19 through Paul Petts who struck beyond Morris after feeding-off from a Ralph assist. Barely 30 seconds later it was 6-2 when Adam Jones hit a shot at Morris for Ashley Tait to tip into the Mos’ net on 42:55. Matt Foord did fire a rare Dynamos shot on the Bison goal which was knocked wide by Weller-Evans as the Mos tried to close the gap but the game was stretching further away from any chance of rescuing something from it. With 50:16 on the clock tempers boiled a little which  resulted with Lewis English serving a 2 minute penalty for a late hit.  The Mos manged to kill the penalty but did concede once more when they returned to full strength with Petts making it 7-2 on 57:48.

So a defeat on the road for the Mos who only 9 shots on target at Weller-Evans and also now lose the services of Anthony Leone trough suspension.

Referee: Evans


Bison: A. Jones 0+1, C. Cooke 0+1, E. Dewey 0+1, T. Ralph 0+1, G. Norcliffe 0+3, R. Cowley 2+2, P. Petts 2+0, A. Tait 0+2, M. Klejna 1+0, A. Sampford 0+1, O. Evans 0+1, J. King 1+0

Dynamos: M. Foord 0+1, B. Miles 0+1, A. Strawson 1+0, L. Colvin 0+1, H. Lillis 1+0


  1. Weller-Evans save percentage – 77.78% (9 shots/2 goals)
  2. Morris save percentage – 86.27% (51 shots/7 goals)


Bison – 10

Dynamos –  43

Man of the match:

Bison – R. Cowley

Dynamos – M. Foord